Coopsareopen.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 My ProfileMy Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS can lead you astray... funny story
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Coopsareopen.com Forum Index -> Video / Computer Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mado

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: GPS can lead you astray... funny story Reply with quote [ flag post ]

I was going to post with the ones on GPS but I thought this deserves it's own section!

Quote:
Driver follows GPS into sand

October 10, 2006 10:31am
Article from: Reuters

AN 80-year-old German motorist has obediently followed his navigation system all the way into a huge pile of sand, abrubtly bringing his trip to an end.
The motorist ignored a motorway "closed for construction" sign and crashed his Mercedes into a pile of sand further down the road, police have said.

"The driver was following the orders from his navigation system and even though there was a sufficient number of warnings and barricades, he continued his journey into the construction site," a police spokeswoman has said.

"His trip finally ended when he wound up crashing into a pile of sand," she added.

The driver and his wife escaped uninjured from the collision, which occurred on a motorway near Hamburg.

GPS Story
backup1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote [ flag post ]

I get on the phone and I about do that! That's funny. I'm glad he didn't get hurt (or anyone else).
Big_Dog

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote [ flag post ]

There's a lot of that. I think it's much more that the guy shouldn't have been driving in the first place than that the GPS is such a powerful tool that he couldn't resist turning.

They get drunk people doing the same thing. Dumbasses.
Blank_doubt3274
Coops Junkie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote [ flag post ]

I've seen these GPS devices in vehicles yet never wanted to try them personally.
Yeah, I guess they're good for the folk that cannot grasp the simplicity of maps, yet if these systems can in a sense "lead a horse to water", what's to stop one from driving into a chasm because that's the way one is "lead"?!
How many people have driven off cliffs because of their GPS directions?
Or driven into Lakes?
Or into sand piles?
Or gotten their trucks stuck in dead-ends with no area to turn around?

I'll stick with the old ways as in a hand held compass(at night), and the directional shadowing of the Life Star in the light of day.

I usually only get lost with bad directions from dispatchers, load planners and some customers. It makes the adventures more exhilarating. Cool
scoobiesuz
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote [ flag post ]

I don't know- the truck atlas doesn't always have all the roads and I'm not about to go out and buy maps for all the local places we go. So having a map like that is helpful.

But I still like to know where I am in the scheme of things.
Blank_doubt3274
Coops Junkie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote [ flag post ]

In the "scheme of things", you are where you are when you are there and this cannot be otherwise unless you're a physical time traveller.
Then again we're ALL time travellers as we are ever progressing forwards in time. I kinda like Tome travelling.
The start of this rhetoric is the past and the end is NOW!! Laughing Laughing
ragtopjr

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote [ flag post ]

Its like anything in the hands of fools, it can be dangerous!

Sitting in the drivers room in a truckstop in Texas Gps was the topic of discussion when one trucker told of his conversation with another trucker who stated that it was great for "FOG" because they just watched the gps to see where the road was Rolling Eyes
Blank_doubt3274
Coops Junkie

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote [ flag post ]

ragtopjr wrote:

Sitting in the drivers room in a truckstop in Texas Gps was the topic of discussion when one trucker told of his conversation with another trucker who stated that it was great for "FOG" because they just watched the gps to see where the road was Rolling Eyes

Do these drivers as well have Infrared systems??
Looking at ones GPS in order to drive is plain stupidity but then what these new breed drivers are doing anymore is outlandish to me!!

ragtopjr

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote [ flag post ]

Blank_doubt3274 wrote:
ragtopjr wrote:

Looking at ones GPS in order to drive is plain stupidity but then what these new breed drivers are doing anymore is outlandish to me!!

Do us all a favor and dont lump 'ALL" new drivers into one group.

We were all "NEW" Drivers at one point.

In regards to the above story, since I was not personally there to hear such an unbelievable concept in the usefullness of the GPS in fog, I can only assume that there may have been some embellishments.

For the sake of us all out there I hope it truly was a load of crap, but there are certainly some people out there that should not be allowed to walk on the road ....Never mind drive on it!
Blank_doubt3274
Coops Junkie

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote [ flag post ]

[quote="ragtopjr"]

Quote:

ALL New Drivers ARE in a Group as they're ALL NEW DRIVERS, therefore
what other group is there??

When I started Driving Trucks in '98, I was as well in a GROUP OF NEW DRIVERS, therefore ALL NEW DRIVERS regardless of locality ARE to be classed in ONE group.
The SAME for ALL NEW DRIVERS graduating from College Courses in Truck Driving, Independent Driving Schools and from Company sponsored Training Courses; THESE ARE ALL NEW DRIVERS and ARE IN A GROUP OF NEW DRIVERS, therefore that is how they are seen in the Trucking Realm especially if they come from specific Companies Training Courses of which I shall not name here.

Yes, EVERYONE started somewhere and they were then ALL NEW DRIVERS!! How does that change for today??
It's just simple Logic!
ragtopjr

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote [ flag post ]

[quote="Blank_doubt3274"]
ragtopjr wrote:

Quote:

ALL New Drivers ARE in a Group as they're ALL NEW DRIVERS, therefore
what other group is there??

When I started Driving Trucks in '98, I was as well in a GROUP OF NEW DRIVERS, therefore ALL NEW DRIVERS regardless of locality ARE to be classed in ONE group.
The SAME for ALL NEW DRIVERS graduating from College Courses in Truck Driving, Independent Driving Schools and from Company sponsored Training Courses; THESE ARE ALL NEW DRIVERS and ARE IN A GROUP OF NEW DRIVERS, therefore that is how they are seen in the Trucking Realm especially if they come from specific Companies Training Courses of which I shall not name here.

Yes, EVERYONE started somewhere and they were then ALL NEW DRIVERS!! How does that change for today??
It's just simple Logic!

It seems as though with the statement below you feel that "ALL" new drivers are poor.

Blank_doubt3274 wrote:

There are without a doubt a lot of drivers that cant drive worth a crap, or have no respect for their fellow drivers out there....

Sadly I dont think that they are all "New" Drivers that fit into this category, but I bet a lot of disenchanted drivers who have been doing this all their lives and have just about had enough.

This job is just like any other... there will always be good points as well as bad...

I guess what I am maybe trying to say here is if you want a forum to grow, try not to alienate the very people who you are trying to recruit....

JMHO
scoobiesuz
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote [ flag post ]

ragtopjr wrote:

I guess what I am maybe trying to say here is if you want a forum to grow, try not to alienate the very people who you are trying to recruit....

JMHO

Agreed.

But even if we do wind up lumped into categories, us "old drivers" can stand to learn from the "new drivers" out there (and vice versa! Wink)

We were over the road for 13 years and my husband still needs someone to tell him where to turn. When the GPS is working I at least know he's going to head in the right direction (but not necessarily the best route!).

He just got home to Ohio driving from Idaho via MT/ND/MN etc... and the GPS wasn't working! I was a little concerned about that- especially when he came through Chicago on I 90/294... And you really don't want to get turned around in Chicago! Especially if you have a bad sense of direction!

He took the long way through Minneapolis (meaning the drove around and then ended up downtown before figuring out how to actually LEAVE!). So he sure could have used it there!
Blank_doubt3274
Coops Junkie

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote [ flag post ]

So how does any of the following alienate anybody??

There's NOTHING a new driver can teach me about driving, but there may be some things I could help them to learn. There are too many things NOT done by the daily introduction of new or beginning drivers that some of them should be doing just for their own future in Trucking.
Simple things like:
>>Checking tire air pressures on ALL Tires.
>>Checking to MAKE SURE the Kingpin IS LOCKED in the 5th wheel BEFORE pulling away from where ever.
--the above happens to seasoned drivers as well--
>>Making SURE the 5th wheel Handle hasn't been pulled when not near the truck. --This has been a practical joke for some--
>>Making SURE the Air Lines are disconnected BEFORE pulling away from a dropped Trailer. --This happened to me about 5 years ago and to my friend 2 weeks ago and he's been driving for over 15 years--
>>Checking the Air Lines at the Trailer couplings to be sure no one has switched them or otherwise corrupted them. --putting a small coin between the glad hand and the coupler prevents Air from its journey and is good for laughs for some--
There ARE other things as well but these are good for now!!

In response to the article of scoobiesuz:

HUH??
People can't comprehend the simplicity of MAPS anymore??
Maps are easier to use and a LOT cheaper than gps, plus Maps don't talk to ya.
Minn. is EASY to get through and so are the the Twin Cities.
Chicago is EASY to get around in or through except for the Traffic.

I prefer to look up my route online @ Google Maps or Prophesy BEFORE picking up a Load.
I can ALWAYS find a WiFi signal somewhere.

I'm old fashioned in that I'll still WRITE DOWN directions so I can read them later.
Russellmania
Mega Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote [ flag post ]

Blank_doubt3274 wrote:

There's NOTHING a new driver can teach me about driving, but there may be some things I could help them to learn...

I was a trainer for another company for many years and I learned something from almost all of my students. Sometimes a fresh perspective will open new avenues to knowledge. I try to keep an open and inquisitive mind and consider the day a total loss if I don't learn something new. To answer your question, since you asked; that statement makes you come off sounding like a know it all "super trucker" and that can be very alienating. I know you Eric, and I know that is not what you intended. I also know you would be the first to help out a new driver but to those who've recently come to these forums you must admit it sounds rather elitist.
ragtopjr

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote [ flag post ]

Russellmania wrote:
Blank_doubt3274 wrote:

There's NOTHING a new driver can teach me about driving, but there may be some things I could help them to learn...

I was a trainer for another company for many years and I learned something from almost all of my students. Sometimes a fresh perspective will open new avenues to knowledge. I try to keep an open and inquisitive mind and consider the day a total loss if I don't learn something new. To answer your question, since you asked; that statement makes you come off sounding like a know it all "super trucker" and that can be very alienating. I know you Eric, and I know that is not what you intended. I also know you would be the first to help out a new driver but to those who've recently come to these forums you must admit it sounds rather elitist.

You have truly hit the nail on the head!

As far as I am concerned the day a person knows everything, will be the day they may as well be dead, or just another day they are full of crap!

As far as Never learn anything from a new driver....

Where do you think us new drivers learn a lot of great information......

Thats right...More experienced guys like yourselves!

So I guess depending on how you want to look at it you are still learning from the experienced driver who just sent a new driver to deliver his wisdom!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Coopsareopen.com Forum Index -> Video / Computer Entertainment All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: