Coopsareopen.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 My ProfileMy Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What happens at a weigh station?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Coopsareopen.com Forum Index -> Scales and Stations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sheecatt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: What happens at a weigh station? Reply with quote [ flag post ]

What do they look for at the coops?
Only weight?
>^..^< Question
scoobiesuz
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote [ flag post ]

Hi, there, sheecatt!

Weigh stations are for weight and safety enforcement. That means they'll check your weight and possible check your log books and/or permits. They may also perform a vehicle inspection to make sure your equipment is safe and legal.

Are you a trucker?
Russellmania
Mega Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote [ flag post ]

Hi sheecatt and welcome to the forums.

Coops (weigh stations) exist ostensibly to enforce compliance with D.O.T. (Department of Transportation) rules and regulations as they pertain to commercial motor vehicles. In most cases the officers are primarily concerned with weight (gross vehicle weight as well as axle or axle set weight) and any obvious defects or safety violations. If a truck is over weight or any other issues are noted the driver will be told to pull around back and park or enter an inspection bay for further scrutiny.

If weight is the only problem the driver may be required to "fix it" either by sliding the axles and/or 5th wheel or, in the case of gross weight, off loading the excess. In some states if you can fix it in a certain amount of time there will be no citation issued in others you're going to get ticketed even if you are able to comply. If the problem can not be corrected some coops will allow the truck to leave after issuing the driver a citation, others however will "shut down" the truck and require that it stay on site until compliance is achieved.

If the truck is inspected and defects are found the driver may be issued a "fix it ticket" and allowed to proceed or in the case of serious safety violations the truck will have to remain at the coop until repairs are completed..."serious safety violation" is a nebulous term and apparently open to interpretation by each individual officer/coop/state.

During the course of an inspection a driver will be required to produce his or her log book and an officer will determine if it is in compliance with the H.O.S (hours of service) regulations. If discrepancies are noted citations may be issued and the driver may be "shut down" for a specified period of time. Log book inspections can range from a cursory examination to an in depth perusal using a calculator and mileage chart.

Fines for non compliant drivers and equipment can be exorbitant which leads many (myself being one) to believe that a coops true function is generating revenue for the state.

I hope this has answered your question and we hope to see more of you around here, you're input is always welcome.
scoobiesuz
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote [ flag post ]

Russellmania wrote:

Fines for non compliant drivers and equipment can be exorbitant which leads many (myself being one) to believe that a coops true function is generating revenue for the state.

Ain't that the truth!
youngblood

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote [ flag post ]

Wow and here i thought the weigh stations were just places where the D.O.T. can harass truck drivers trying to make a decent living. Why the hell is there even a D.O.T. or Weigh Stations, or any law enforcement against trucks. What good are any of them most of us hate them anyways they are just troublemakers with a badge.
Blank_doubt3274
Coops Junkie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote [ flag post ]

youngblood wrote:
Wow and here i thought the weigh stations were just places where the D.O.T. can harass truck drivers trying to make a decent living. Why the hell is there even a D.O.T. or Weigh Stations, or any law enforcement against trucks. What good are any of them most of us hate them anyways they are just troublemakers with a badge.

From a guy who recently had stated was considering becoming an Alabama State Trooper or local (loco) Police Officer.

Any luck with any truck driving gig locally??
trafficlawyer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote [ flag post ]

Make certain you are 100% compliant with any permit/overweight you have had issued, in GA fines are exhorbitant.
sunshine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote [ flag post ]

Welcome trafficlawyer. Pull up a chair and grab a cup. Enjoy your stay at The Coops.

trafficlawyer is right. Make sure all your ducks are in a row. Log book current and if any of your BOL's are time stamped, dated and signed by you they better match or it's a falsification ticket.

For all of you that use CAT scales. They are time stamped Shocked so if use a CAT scale and turn your ticket in for reimbusement it must match
your log book. My safety guy is anal retentive on this. He'd like us to show 15min but I tell him all I'll do is flag it. Don't get me started on my safety guy who has never been in a truck or done a log book in his life Rolling Eyes

https://www.facebook.com/melanie.knaut
Blank_doubt3274
Coops Junkie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote [ flag post ]

ALL my scale times matched me log book becuse it usually took 45 minutes from start to finish (especially with how some places were designed and considering other trucks scaling).
Even though I preferred to run Outlaw, my scaling times were accurate.
I never however EVER remotely got close on Toll times but that's not the issue in this thread.

Just PLEASE remember:
When YOU LEAVE a Customer and you're not sure of your weight, SCALE THE LOAD, as scaling BEFORE CROSSING A COOP is cheaper than the added pleasure of an overweight ticket which the Company you drive for WILL NOT PAY (unless it is stated BEFORE being Loaded that all overweight tickets will be paid by either the Customer or the Company of which you're driving).
TOO many Drivers seem to think that overweight loads are some other persons problem when in fact these problems are the DRIVERS'!!
Coop Officials LOVE TO HEAR WHINERS as it then adds to the overall experience and makes the visit just that much more enjoyable up to possibly including an Out Of Service order.
Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote [ flag post ]

Just beware that what happens in one state may differ from that of another. And, what happens at one coop within a state can differ from what happens at another coop within the same state. Some coops within a state may have, for example, inspection pits, while another may not. The regulations, the pesonnel, and the equipment often determine what your experience will be.
sunshine

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote [ flag post ]

Warrior wrote:
Just beware that what happens in one state may differ from that of another. And, what happens at one coop within a state can differ from what happens at another coop within the same state. Some coops within a state may have, for example, inspection pits, while another may not. The regulations, the pesonnel, and the equipment often determine what your experience will be.

Welcome warrior to the Coops.

You are right. But there is one thing that never changes. " Driver pull around back and bring in your paperwork" I am gonna step on on my soap box.

You, the driver are the captain of your ship. Therefore, it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to make sure that truck is safe to go down the road Wink If the brakes aren't working properly, lights out, etc write it up and report it to the company. Make sure all your paperwork is in order, load is scaled. FYI Keep your logbook current and all time stamped documents match your log. In the state of Maine you can be arrested, go to jail and have your equipment impounded for a falsified logbook Wink

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox Laughing

https://www.facebook.com/melanie.knaut
noguns3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote [ flag post ]

CAT scale tickets only print the time on the top copy. Simply tear the top copy off and throw it away. No more time stamp. If you look at it, CAT specifically does this to eliminate the time stamp. Thus the black area on the 2nd copy.
Russellmania
Mega Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote [ flag post ]

noguns3 wrote:
CAT scale tickets only print the time on the top copy. Simply tear the top copy off and throw it away. No more time stamp. If you look at it, CAT specifically does this to eliminate the time stamp. Thus the black area on the 2nd copy.

Actually there's 3 copies printed, the top copy, as you stated, is the only one with the time stamp and it's supposed to be retained by the truck stop and sent to CAT scale headquarters in Walcott. The other 2 copies go to the driver and have no time stamp...only the date.

Thanks for your input noguns3, we hope to see more of you around these parts.
foxtrot6

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Rental Trucks Reply with quote [ flag post ]

Ive read that rental trucks are treated differently, any truth to this ? Im moving east to west taking I70 and 80 with a 22 or 26' Penski and Im worried abouut the weight (lots of tools) is there any lee way or do they tickit yo as soon as youu cross the number on the door ?
Blank_doubt3274
Coops Junkie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote [ flag post ]

Have no idea how rental trucks are treated differently.
I've driven rental tractors and had some problems/didn't have any problems with Coop Officials.
Time of day/night, earlier trucks/drivers and attitudes generally suggest how one might be treated.

Just remember:
MANY Coop Officials have little patience like they're in a hurry to go somewhere or do something, like most Officials.
They also usually have very little tolerance for humor, so don't joke about thinking it'll help defray anything as joking about might well help get you in worse shape, like a LEVEL 1 INSPECTION or OUT OF SERVICE order.
>>The two situations/incidents have not happened to me yet they HAVE OCCURRED and WILL OCCUR<<
Conversely, if/when these Officials/Officers display a negative attitude, such is usually not suggested to return, however don't kowtow to them either, just give them short, concise answers.
DO NOT ELABORATE!!
DO NOT CARRY IN YOUR LOGBOOK UNLESS ASKED!!
DO NOT VOLUNTEER ANY INFORMATION!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Coopsareopen.com Forum Index -> Scales and Stations All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: